Subaru has become a popular choice not only for car enthusiasts but also for those who value safety and reliability in their vehicles. The brand is known for staying on top of the latest safety technologies and continually improving them. So, what makes a Subaru car so safe? In this article, we’ll dive into the various safety features and technologies that make Subaru one of the safest cars on the road.
Subaru’s EyeSight technology was introduced in 2012 and has since become a game-changer for car safety. This feature uses two cameras mounted on the windshield, providing a wide field of view and the ability to spot obstacles better. Here are some of the impressive features of EyeSight technology:
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC): This feature maintains a safe distance from the car ahead by automatically adjusting the speed, reducing the need for frequent braking, and accelerating.
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW): If the car begins to drift out of the lane, this feature alerts the driver, preventing unintended lane changes that could cause accidents.
- Pre-Collision Braking (PCB): If the car detects a potential collision, it will alert the driver and start to apply the brakes automatically, reducing the impact of an accident or even preventing it altogether.
- Pre-Collision Throttle Management (PCTM): If a driver mistakenly presses the gas instead of the brake, PCTM reduces engine power, limiting the speed and preventing a potential collision.
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Subaru was the first car manufacturer to introduce Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD) as standard on all models. The system provides better traction and stability on the road, making it a safer choice for drivers. Here are some of the benefits of Symmetrical AWD:
- Better Handling: The Symmetrical AWD system provides an even distribution of power to all four wheels, providing the car with better traction and handling, especially on rough or slippery terrain.
- Improved Braking: The system provides better balance and control at the time of braking, which reduces the likelihood of accidents and skidding.
- Enhanced Performance: Having Symmetrical AWD as standard on all models improves control and provides the driver with a better overall driving experience.
Subaru has consistently earned top marks in crash tests conducted by reputable safety organizations such as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Some of the notable crash safety features of Subaru cars include:
- Ring-shaped Reinforcement: Subaru’s proprietary design improves body rigidity and distributes impact energy evenly throughout the vehicle, minimizing the risk of injury to the driver and passengers.
- High-Strength Steel Frame: The frame provides better protection for occupants in a crash by absorbing the impact and reducing cabin deformation.
- Airbags: Subaru equips their cars with advanced airbag technology that deploys instantly and protects occupants from injury.
Subaru is the only manufacturer to have earned top marks in all categories of the IIHS safety evaluations for fourteen consecutive years. The NHTSA has also awarded Subaru with 5-star Overall crash safety ratings for several models, making the brand one of the safest on the road.
Subaru’s Commitment to Safety
Subaru’s unwavering commitment to safety is evident in the way they continuously innovate and improve their safety features. Their willingness to invest in new technologies shows that they value the safety and well-being of their customers. Furthermore, Subaru has shown its dedication to safety and reliability by offering extended warranties and other benefits to their customers.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Are all Subaru models equipped with EyeSight technology as standard?
A: While EyeSight technology is standard on most Subaru models from 2019 onwards, some older models may not have it as standard. However, it is available as an optional upgrade on most models.
Q: Is Symmetrical AWD only available on certain Subaru models?
A: No, Symmetrical AWD is standard on all Subaru models, making it a unique feature of the brand.
Q: Are Subaru cars more expensive than other brands due to their safety technologies?
A: While Subaru cars do come with advanced safety technologies, they are priced competitively and often within the same range as other brands. Furthermore, their safety features can potentially save the driver and passengers from injury and costly medical bills, making them a worthwhile investment.
Subaru has established itself as one of the safest automakers globally, with technologies such as EyeSight and Symmetrical AWD leading the way in the industry. Their unwavering commitment to safety and dedication to improving their technologies ensure that Subaru will remain at the forefront of car safety for years to come. So, if you’re looking for a car that places your safety first, you can’t go wrong with a Subaru.