If you are a vintage car enthusiast and looking for a unique vehicle to add to your collection, you might want to consider purchasing a Subaru BRAT. This iconic vehicle from the 1980s is known for its unusual design and off-road capabilities. However, if you are new to the world of BRATs, you might have a lot of questions. Where can you buy one? What should you look for when inspecting one? What is the cost of owning and maintaining a BRAT? In this comprehensive guide, we will cover all the factors you need to consider when purchasing a Subaru BRAT.
Where to Buy a Subaru BRAT
The first question that comes to mind when looking for a Subaru BRAT is, where can you find one? The demand for BRATs is currently high, especially among vintage car collectors, so finding one might not be easy. However, there are still a few places where you can find a BRAT for sale:
- Classified ads: You can check classified ads in local newspapers, auto magazines, and online forums for vintage cars. Websites such as Craigslist, Autotrader, and Hemmings are great places to search for a BRAT.
- Online auctions: Websites such as eBay and Bring a Trailer frequently have BRATs for sale. Participating in an online auction can be a good option if you are looking for a specific model year or color.
- Specialty dealers: Some dealers specialize in vintage cars, including Subaru BRATs. You can search for these dealers online, and they might have a BRAT for sale or can help you find one.
When purchasing a BRAT, it is important to ensure that the vehicle is in good condition, has all the necessary paperwork, and follows all the safety standards. Make sure to ask the seller about the vehicle’s history, maintenance records, and any accidents it might have been involved in.
Factors to Consider when Purchasing a Subaru BRAT
Once you find a BRAT for sale, what should you look for when inspecting the vehicle? Here are some factors to consider:
- Model year: BRATs were manufactured between 1978 and 1994. The earlier models were known for their distinctive look and simple design. The later models had more amenities, such as air conditioning and power windows. You should choose a model year that fits your needs and budget.
- Condition: The condition of the vehicle is critical when purchasing a BRAT. It is best to avoid a vehicle with rust or extensive body damage. Ensure that the engine and transmission are in good condition and have been serviced regularly.
- Availability of parts: Since BRATs are vintage vehicles, finding spare parts can be a challenging task. Ensure that you can source the necessary parts easily before purchasing a BRAT.
- Price: The price of a BRAT varies depending on the vehicle’s model year, condition, and rarity. However, the average price of a BRAT ranges between $5000 and $15,000.
Owning and Maintaining a Subaru BRAT
Owning a BRAT is not just about purchasing a vehicle; it’s about maintaining and cherishing it. Here are some tips for maintaining your Subaru BRAT:
- Regular servicing: Regular servicing of the engine, brakes, and suspension is important to keep the vehicle in good running condition.
- Keeping it clean: Regular washing and detailing can keep the vehicle looking good and prevent rust.
- Storage: If you plan to store the vehicle for an extended period, make sure to prepare it properly. Clean the fuel tank, disconnect the battery, and cover the vehicle to prevent dust and moisture buildup.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Are BRATs good off-road vehicles?
A. Yes, BRATs are known for their off-road capabilities. The all-wheel-drive system, low gearing, and high ground clearance make it a suitable vehicle for adventures.
Q. Can I find replacement parts for my BRAT?
A. Yes, replacement parts for the BRAT are available through online stores, specialty dealers, and auto parts stores. However, some parts might be challenging to find, especially for the earlier models.
Q. What is the average lifespan of a BRAT?
A. The lifespan of a BRAT depends on the vehicle’s condition, usage, and maintenance. With proper care and regular servicing, a BRAT can last for many years.
In conclusion, purchasing a Subaru BRAT can be an exciting and rewarding experience for vintage car enthusiasts. Ensure that you do your research, find a good vehicle that fits your needs and budget, and maintain it regularly to enjoy the unique driving experience that a BRAT offers.