Subaru has made a name for itself by producing cars that are reliable and functional. One of the distinguishing features of Subaru cars is their all-wheel-drive system, which makes them ideal for navigating rough terrains. However, no matter how good the all-wheel-drive is, visibility remains an integral part of any car’s safety features. Driving in low-light conditions is always a challenge, especially during the foggy season. Fortunately, you can upgrade your basic Subaru model with fog lights to improve visibility.
The Benefits of Fog Lights
Fog lights are designed to enhance your car’s visibility during adverse weather conditions, including dense fog, heavy snowfall, and heavy rain. Compared to regular headlights, fog lights are positioned lower on the front bumper, making them less susceptible to light reflection, which enhances visibility. Fog lights also produce a wide and low beam that doesn’t reflect on fog, improving visibility further.
Types of Fog Lights available for Basic Subaru Models
Subaru offers two types of fog lights – LED and Halogen. LED lights are more energy-efficient and produce brighter lights than halogen lights. On the other hand, halogen lights are more affordable and have been the standard for many years. Regardless of the type of lights, you choose, make sure they are compatible with your car’s model.
The Installation Process
Installing fog lights on your basic Subaru model is a relatively easy process that you can do at home. The process involves the following steps:
- Purchase a fog light kit compatible with your car’s model.
- Remove the bolts on the front bumper and pull away the grille carefully.
- Install the fog light bracket to the designated place and insert the wires through the hole.
- Connect the fog lights to the wiring harness and test the lights before placing them into their bracket.
- Reattach the bumper, front grille, and check the alignment of the fog lights.
If you’re uncomfortable installing fog lights at home, you can take your car to a professional mechanic who can install them for you.
The Cost of Installation
The cost of fog light installation varies depending on the type of fog light and where you’re getting them installed. On average, installing fog lights can cost anywhere between $150 and $500, depending on the complexity of the installation process and the type of lights installed.
Best Places to Buy Fog Lights
When buying fog lights, it’s essential to consider the store’s reputation and the quality of the lights. Here are some places you can buy high-quality fog lights for your basic Subaru model:
- Subaru dealership: Subaru dealerships offer genuine fog lights that are compatible with your car’s model.
- Online retailers: Websites like Amazon, eBay, or via retailers-specific: Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights, Subispeed, or OLM.
- Local auto parts stores: These stores might not offer the best selection of the fog lights, but they can be a good option for someone who needs a quick replacement.
Important Considerations when buying Fog Lights
When buying fog lights, it’s essential to consider the following factors:
- Compatibility: Make sure the fog lights you buy are compatible with your car’s model.
- Visibility Improvement: Some fog lights emit a brighter light than others, so ensure the ones you buy get you the desired outcome
- Durability: Fog lights are prone to breaking on rough terrains and bad weather conditions, so buy one that is sturdy enough.
Q: Do I need fog lights on my Subaru car?
A: If you live in an area with adverse weather conditions, including dense fog, heavy snowfall, and heavy rain, fog lights can improve your car’s visibility.
Q: Is it safe to install fog lights on my own?
A: Yes, installing fog lights is a relatively easy process that you can do at home. However, if you’re uncomfortable installing them, you can take your car to a professional mechanic.
Q: Which type of fog lights is better between LED and Halogen?
A: LED lights are more energy-efficient and brighter than halogen lights. However, halogen lights are cheaper and have been the standard for many years.
Q: How much does it cost to install fog lights on a Subaru car?
A: On average, it can cost anywhere between $150 and $500, depending on the type of lights installed and the complexity of the installation process.
Driving in low-light conditions can be a challenge, but upgrading your basic Subaru model with fog lights can significantly improve visibility and keep you safe on the road. When buying fog lights, make sure they are of good quality, compatible with your car’s model, and durable enough to withstand adverse weather conditions. If you’re unsure about the installation process, you can call on a professional mechanic to help you. Invest in fog lights today and enjoy a safer and more comfortable driving experience.