Subaru cars have always been known for their impressive performance and handling capabilities. One of the key components that contribute to these attributes is the suspension. When it comes to the Subaru Impreza WRX, the spec B suspension is an upgrade that many car enthusiasts consider. In this article, we will take a closer look at what the Subaru spec B suspension is, how it differs from the stock suspension, and how it can improve your car’s handling and performance.
What is a Suspension?
Before we dive into the details of the spec B suspension, let’s start with the basics. A car’s suspension system is designed to support the weight of the vehicle, provide a smooth ride, and ensure that the tires maintain contact with the road surface. It does this by using a combination of springs, shocks, and other components that work together to absorb the impact of bumps and dips in the road.
Typical Suspension Components
Most cars, including the Impreza WRX, come with a stock suspension system that is designed to meet a range of driving needs. The stock suspension typically includes the following components:
- Springs: These provide support for the weight of the vehicle and help absorb impacts.
- Shocks: These dampen the movement of the suspension components, preventing the car from bouncing.
- Struts: These are part of the shock absorber assembly and are responsible for supporting the weight of the vehicle.
- Sway bar: This connects the left and right wheels of the car and plays a role in controlling body roll during cornering.
Subaru Spec B Suspension
The Subaru spec B suspension is an upgrade that was introduced in 2006 for the Impreza WRX. It was designed to improve the car’s handling capabilities while still maintaining a comfortable ride. The spec B suspension includes several upgraded components, including:
- Lowering springs: These decrease the distance between the car’s chassis and the ground. This lowers the center of gravity, which can improve handling performance.
- Bilstein shocks: Bilstein is a premium shock absorber manufacturer known for their high-quality performance shocks. The spec B suspension includes Bilstein shocks that are specially tuned to the Impreza WRX.
- Aluminum lower control arms: These are stronger and lighter than the stock control arms, providing a better balance of handling and comfort.
- STI front and rear sway bars: These sway bars are stiffer than the stock sway bars, reducing body roll during cornering and improving handling.
Benefits and Drawbacks of the Spec B Suspension
The spec B suspension offers several benefits for Impreza WRX owners who are looking to upgrade their cars. These include:
- Improved handling: The lowered ride height and stiffer components of the spec B suspension can significantly improve the car’s handling and cornering capabilities.
- Better performance: With the spec B suspension installed, the car’s performance can improve in several areas, including acceleration, braking, and overall agility.
- Sportier appearance: The lowered ride height and upgraded components can give the car a sportier and more aggressive look.
However, there are also some drawbacks to consider:
- Reduced comfort: The stiffer components of the spec B suspension can result in a harsher ride, potentially reducing passenger comfort.
- Higher cost: The spec B suspension is more expensive than the stock suspension, and the installation process can be complex and require professional assistance.
Installation and Cost
Installing the Subaru spec B suspension is not a simple process and should be done by a professional to ensure proper installation and safety. The process involves removing the stock suspension components and installing the upgraded spec B components. The cost of the spec B suspension varies depending on the model year of your Impreza WRX and where you purchase it. On average, the suspension kit can cost around $2000.
Q: Can I install the Subaru spec B suspension myself?
A: While it is technically possible to install the suspension on your own, it is not recommended unless you have professional-level experience and tools. Improper installation can result in serious safety issues.
Q: Will the Subaru spec B suspension void my car’s warranty?
A: It depends on your car’s warranty. Most dealer-installed upgrade packages will not void your warranty, but it is always best to check with your dealer before making any upgrades.
Q: Will the Subaru spec B suspension fit on my non- WRX Impreza?
A: No, the spec B suspension is specifically designed to fit the Impreza WRX.
In conclusion, the Subaru spec B suspension is an upgrade that can significantly improve the Impreza WRX’s handling and performance. While it may have some drawbacks, the benefits are substantial for car enthusiasts looking to take their driving experience to the next level. Just make sure to have it professionally installed and consider the cost before making the upgrade.