Are you a Subaru car owner or planning to become one soon? Do you use the key fob to access your car and wonder how the fob works and how to maintain it? You’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll examine everything you need to know about Subaru key fobs and how to maintain their batteries to ensure that they function properly. So sit tight and let’s get started.
What Is a Key Fob, and How Does It Work?
In recent years, key fobs have become one of the most common ways to access a car. The key fob is an electronic device that works with a specific car and is used to lock, unlock, start, and even remotely start a vehicle. Modern Subaru key fobs operate using radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, which offers more security than the older infrared (IR) technology. When you press a button on the key fob, it sends a signal to your car’s onboard computer, which can perform specific actions like unlocking the doors or trunk.
The Importance of Maintaining Your Key Fob Battery
Maintaining your key fob battery is essential to ensure that it works correctly. A dead battery can cause the key fob to malfunction, leaving you with no way to enter or start your car. Issues with the key fob can also have a significant impact on your car’s security features. If the fob’s battery is low, it may not transmit a strong enough signal, leaving your car vulnerable to theft. Maintaining your key fob battery is crucial for the security, accessibility and reliability of your car.
How to Change Your Subaru Key Fob Battery
When you notice that your key fob is not responding correctly or it takes a few attempts to get it to work, it may be time to change the battery. Luckily, changing the battery is simple and can be done by following these easy steps:
- First, locate the release button on the back of your key fob.
- Press and hold the release button, then pull out the key blade and set it aside.
- Use a small screwdriver or a coin to remove the cover of the remote battery holder.
- Carefully remove the old battery and replace it with a new CR2032 Lithium coin cell battery.
It’s essential to use a battery of the same type as the original when changing the battery in your key fob. Using the wrong battery can damage the fob and render it unusable.
- Replace the battery holder cover and snap it back in place.
- Re-insert the key into the fob and push it back into place until you hear a click.
- Test the key fob to see if it’s working correctly.
If the key fob is not working correctly even after changing the battery, a deeper issue may exist. In this case, you should take the key fob to a Subaru dealer to get it checked out.
Tips for Key Fob Maintenance
Maintaining your key fob beyond changing its battery is crucial. Below are a few tips to help you keep your key fob in good condition:
- Avoid exposing your key fob to extreme temperatures, which can damage the battery or other internal components.
- Keep your key fob clean and dry, and avoid dropping it, as this can damage the fob’s internal components.
- Replace the battery every 1-2 years, even if the key fob is still functioning correctly. This will ensure that it continues to work correctly and prevent potential issues.
- Keep a spare battery inside the car in case of an emergency.
- Always lock your car by pressing the lock button on your key fob. This ensures that the car is secure and that the security system is activated.
Q: How long does a Subaru key fob battery last?
A:Generally, a key fob battery lasts between 1-2 years, with normal usage.
Q: What kind of battery do I need for my Subaru key fob?
A: Most Subaru key fobs use the CR2032 Lithium coin cell battery. It’s crucial to use a battery of the same type as the original when changing the battery in your key fob.
Q: Can I program a new key fob myself?
A: No, trying to program a new key fob yourself can cause serious damage to your vehicle. It’s recommended to take the key fob to a Subaru dealer to get it done professionally.
Subaru key fobs are integral to accessing and starting your car and are an essential component of your car’s security system. It’s crucial to maintain your key fob battery, which is easy to do following the steps outlined in this article. Maintaining your key fob battery and following the tips mentioned will help ensure your key fob operates correctly every time and that your car remains secure and accessible.