If you’re a Subaru owner or considering buying one, you may have come across the term "Starlink". But what is Starlink, and how does it work with your Subaru? In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore everything you need to know about Starlink and how it can enhance your driving experience.
- Starlink is Subaru’s in-vehicle technology platform that provides a wide range of features, including safety and security, entertainment, and remote services.
- Starlink uses a combination of satellite and cellular networks to provide these services, ensuring reliable connectivity even in areas with poor cellular coverage.
- Some of the key features of Starlink include automatic collision notification, remote start/stop, and parental controls.
- To use Starlink, you’ll need to subscribe to one of the available plans, which range from basic safety features to premium entertainment and remote services.
Now, let’s dive into the details of how Starlink works and what it can do for you.
What is Starlink?
Starlink is Subaru’s in-vehicle technology platform that provides a range of features designed to enhance your driving experience. It debuted in the 2012 Subaru Forester and has since been included in most Subaru models as either standard or optional equipment.
Starlink offers a variety of features in three main categories: safety and security, entertainment, and remote services. Let’s take a closer look at each of these categories.
Safety and security
One of the primary focuses of Starlink is to keep you and your passengers safe on the road. To that end, it offers a variety of safety and security features, including:
- Automatic collision notification: If your vehicle is involved in a collision, Starlink will automatically notify emergency services and provide your vehicle’s location.
- SOS emergency assistance: In case of an emergency, you can use the SOS button to contact emergency services and get help quickly.
- Stolen vehicle recovery: If your vehicle is stolen, Starlink can help authorities locate and recover it.
- Vehicle diagnostics: Starlink can monitor your vehicle’s health and alert you if any issues arise.
Starlink also offers a range of entertainment features to keep you and your passengers entertained on long drives. Some of these features include:
- SiriusXM satellite radio: With a Starlink subscription, you can access over 150 channels of commercial-free music, sports, news, and more.
- Apple CarPlay/Android Auto: Connect your smartphone to your vehicle and access your favorite apps, including music, messaging, and navigation, through the vehicle’s touchscreen display.
- Wi-Fi hotspot: Turn your vehicle into a Wi-Fi hotspot and connect up to eight devices to the internet.
Finally, Starlink offers a variety of remote services that you can access through your smartphone or computer. These services include:
- Remote start/stop: Start your vehicle’s engine remotely and set the climate control to your desired temperature before you even step inside.
- Remote lock/unlock: Lock or unlock your vehicle’s doors remotely, so you never have to worry about leaving your keys behind.
- Vehicle locator: If you can’t remember where you parked your vehicle, Starlink can help you find it.
- Parental controls: Set speed and boundary alerts to keep your teen driver safe and monitor their driving habits.
How Does Starlink Work?
Now that we’ve covered what Starlink is and what it offers, let’s take a look at how it works.
Starlink uses a combination of satellite and cellular networks to provide its services. This means that even if you’re driving in an area with poor cellular coverage, you should still be able to access most of Starlink’s features.
To use Starlink, you’ll need to activate the service by creating an account on the Subaru Starlink website or through the MySubaru app. Once you’ve activated your account, you can access Starlink’s features through your vehicle’s touchscreen display, your smartphone, or your computer.
To ensure reliable connectivity, Starlink uses a variety of technologies, including:
- GPS: Starlink uses GPS to track your vehicle’s location and provide location-based services, such as stolen vehicle recovery and the vehicle locator feature.
- Cellular networks: Starlink relies on cellular networks to provide many of its features, such as remote services and entertainment.
- Satellites: Starlink also uses satellite networks to provide its services, ensuring that you can still access them even in areas with poor cellular coverage.
How Much Does Starlink Cost?
The cost of Starlink varies depending on the plan you choose. There are four plans available:
- Safety Plus: This plan costs $99 for the first year and provides automatic collision notification, SOS emergency assistance, enhanced roadside assistance, and diagnostic alerts.
- Security Plus: This plan costs $149 for the first year and includes all the features of the Safety Plus plan, as well as stolen vehicle recovery, remote services, and remote vehicle locator.
- Remote Plus: This plan costs $49 for the first year and includes remote start/stop, remote lock/unlock, and climate control settings.
- Concierge: This plan costs $149 for the first year and includes all the features of the Security Plus plan, as well as access to a personal concierge for help with reservations, recommendations, and more.
After the first year, the cost of each plan increases slightly.
Does every Subaru come with Starlink?
Most Subaru models come with Starlink as either standard or optional equipment. However, some older models may not have it. Check with your dealer to see if your vehicle is equipped with Starlink.
Can I access Starlink through my smartphone?
Yes, you can access Starlink through the MySubaru app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
Do I need a subscription to use Starlink?
Yes, you’ll need to subscribe to one of the available plans to use Starlink’s features.
Is Starlink available outside of the United States?
Starlink is currently only available in the United States.
What happens if I cancel my Starlink subscription?
If you cancel your Starlink subscription, you’ll lose access to all of Starlink’s features. However, some features, such as SiriusXM satellite radio, may continue to work if you have a separate subscription.
In conclusion, Starlink is a powerful in-vehicle technology platform that can enhance your driving experience in many ways. Whether you’re looking for added safety and security, entertainment, or remote services, Starlink has something to offer. With a range of plans to choose from, you can find the one that best fits your needs and budget. If you’re a Subaru owner, be sure to explore everything that Starlink has to offer and take advantage of all the features that can make your driving experience more enjoyable and convenient.