Subaru is an automobile company known for producing high-quality vehicles with innovative features. However, one common issue many Subaru owners face is the low volume of the turn signals. This can be particularly problematic for those who drive on busy roads or highways. Fortunately, there is a solution that can easily be done at home without breaking the bank. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to increase the volume of your Subaru turn signal.
Why Should You Increase Your Turn Signal Volume?
Having a loud turn signal can be crucial to ensure other drivers on the road are aware of your intentions. This can be especially important when driving in busy urban areas where many distractions can cause drivers to overlook quieter turn signals. A louder turn signal also makes it easier for those with hearing difficulties to notice the signal and react accordingly. Additionally, this modification can be especially helpful for those who have installed aftermarket exhaust systems that may reduce the sound of the turn signal.
Precautions and Tools Needed
Before you begin to modify your turn signal volume, you should take some precautionary measures. First, make sure to disconnect the car battery negative terminal to prevent electrical shocks or short circuits. Also, you should have a set of basic tools like screwdrivers, pliers, and wire cutters on hand.
Steps to Increase Turn Signal Volume
- Start by opening the front hood of your Subaru and locate the fuse box. Refer to the owner’s manual to find the exact position of the fuse box.
- Once you have located the fuse box, open the fuse panel cover and identify the turn signal fuse.
- Remove the turn signal fuse using a pair of pliers, and replace it with a fuse of the same amperage, but make sure it’s silver plated.
- After replacing the fuse, locate the turn signal relay, which can be found next to the fuse box. Use the manual to identify the correct relay.
- Remove the relay and replace it with a new one specifically designed for increasing volume. These relays can be found online or at most auto parts stores.
- With the new relay in place, you can now reconnect the battery and test your turn signal volume.
If you are experiencing any issues after making these modifications, there may be some troubleshooting steps you can take. First, double-check the placement of the new relay and fuse – make sure both are securely in place. Next, check the wiring and connections to see if anything is loose or damaged. If these steps do not resolve the issue, it may be worth consulting a professional mechanic.
Increasing the volume of your Subaru turn signal is a simple and affordable modification that can enhance your driving experience. While it does require some basic knowledge of automobile systems, it is a DIY project that can save you money in the long run. Always remember to take proper precautions and follow the instructions carefully to ensure a successful modification.
Q: What is a turn signal relay?
A: A turn signal relay is an electronic device that receives signals from the turn signal switch and sends power to the turn signal lights.
Q: What is the purpose of using a silver plated fuse for the turn signal?
A: Silver plated fuses offer better conductivity than regular copper fuses, which can improve the performance of the turn signal.
Q: Will this modification void my vehicle’s warranty?
A: It’s best to check with the car dealership or manufacturer to confirm if this modification will void your warranty. Depending on the terms of the warranty, any modifications made to the car may void it.