If you are a Subaru Outback owner, you may have heard about the EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. This advanced safety feature is designed to help you stay safe on the road by using cameras and other sensors to monitor your surroundings and alert you to potential hazards. While EyeSight can be a valuable tool for many drivers, there may be times when you need to turn it off. In this article, we will explain how to shut off EyeSight on your Subaru Outback.
- EyeSight is a driver assist technology that uses cameras and sensors to monitor your surroundings and help you stay safe on the road.
- There may be times when you need to turn off EyeSight, such as when driving through a construction zone or when you want to turn off the lane departure warning feature.
- To turn off EyeSight on your Subaru Outback, you can use the EyeSight on/off button located on the dashboard or the settings menu on the center touchscreen display.
- Before turning off EyeSight, make sure you understand the risks and potential consequences of doing so.
How to Shut Off EyeSight on Your Subaru Outback
There are two main ways to shut off EyeSight on your Subaru Outback:
Method 1: Using the EyeSight On/Off Button
The easiest way to turn off EyeSight is to use the EyeSight on/off button located on the dashboard. Here’s how to do it:
- Locate the EyeSight on/off button on the dashboard. It is usually located to the left of the steering wheel, near the bottom of the dashboard.
- Press and hold the EyeSight on/off button for a few seconds. The EyeSight indicator light on the dashboard will turn off, indicating that EyeSight has been turned off.
Note: If you have a newer model of the Subaru Outback (2019 or later), the EyeSight on/off button may be located on the steering wheel instead of the dashboard. In this case, simply press and hold the button until the EyeSight indicator light turns off.
Method 2: Using the Settings Menu on the Center Touchscreen Display
If you prefer to use the center touchscreen display to turn off EyeSight, follow these steps:
- Start your Subaru Outback and wait for the center touchscreen display to turn on.
- Tap the "Home" button on the display to access the main menu.
- Select the "Settings" option from the main menu.
- Scroll down to the "EyeSight" option and select it.
- Toggle the EyeSight switch to the off position.
Note: The exact steps for turning off EyeSight using the center touchscreen display may vary slightly depending on the year and model of your Subaru Outback.
When to Turn Off EyeSight
While EyeSight is a valuable safety feature, there may be times when you need to turn it off. Here are a few examples:
- Driving through a construction zone: EyeSight sensors may pick up on temporary lane lines or other construction-related hazards, leading to false alarms or other issues.
- Driving in heavy rain or snow: Heavy rain or snow can affect the performance of EyeSight sensors, leading to false alarms or other issues.
- When towing a trailer: EyeSight may not function properly when towing a trailer, so you may need to turn it off.
- When driving off-road: EyeSight is designed for use on paved roads, so it may not function properly when driving off-road.
- When you want to turn off the lane departure warning feature: While EyeSight can help keep you in your lane, some drivers may find the lane departure warning feature distracting or unnecessary.
Risks and Consequences of Turning Off EyeSight
It’s important to understand that turning off EyeSight can increase your risk of being involved in an accident. EyeSight is designed to help you stay safe on the road, and disabling it can make it harder to avoid potential hazards. Additionally, some insurance companies may view turning off EyeSight as a form of negligence, which could affect your coverage in the event of an accident.
That being said, there are times when turning off EyeSight may be necessary or desirable. If you do decide to turn off EyeSight, make sure you understand the risks and potential consequences of doing so, and take extra precautions to stay safe on the road.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you turn off EyeSight permanently?
Yes, you can turn off EyeSight permanently by removing the EyeSight fuse from the fuse box. However, this is not recommended unless you are certain that you no longer want to use EyeSight. Removing the fuse can also affect other systems in your vehicle, so it’s best to consult your owner’s manual or a professional mechanic before making any changes.
How do you know if EyeSight is turned off?
If EyeSight is turned off, the EyeSight indicator light on the dashboard will turn off. Additionally, you may see a notification on the center touchscreen display indicating that EyeSight is disabled.
Can you customize which EyeSight features are turned on or off?
Yes, you can customize which EyeSight features are turned on or off using the settings menu on the center touchscreen display. This allows you to turn off specific features that you may find distracting or unnecessary while keeping other features enabled.