As a car owner, it’s important to ensure that your car is well-maintained to keep it running smoothly. One crucial part that requires periodic maintenance is the hood struts. Hood struts are an essential component of your car that help to keep your hood open when you need to perform repairs or maintenance. Over time, hood struts may wear out and require replacements. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to change hood struts on a 2015 Subaru Legacy.
Importance of Changing Hood Struts
Hood struts, like any other car component, do wear out over time. When hood struts start to fail, they can no longer support the weight of your hood. This could lead to safety hazards, as the hood may suddenly close on you when you are performing maintenance, causing injury or damage to the car. Therefore, it’s important to replace worn-out struts to prevent any accidents.
Necessary Tools and Equipment
Before you dive into replacing the hood struts, make sure you have all the necessary tools and equipment. Here’s a list of items you’ll need:
- Replacement hood struts
- A flat-head screwdriver
- A socket wrench set
- Safety glasses
- A helper to hold the hood open
Step-by-Step Instructions for Changing the Struts
- Open the hood and secure it with a prop rod or have someone hold it up for you.
- Locate the hood strut that needs replacement. Use a flat-head screwdriver to pry off the retaining clip holding the hood strut in place.
- Use a socket wrench to remove the nut holding the strut to the body of the car. Remove the old hood strut from the ball stud.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other side of the hood.
- Take the new hood strut and install it onto the ball stud on the body of the car.
- Align the other end of the hood strut with the ball stud on the underside of the hood. You may need to exert some force when doing this.
- Once everything is aligned, use a socket wrench to tighten the nut on the ball stud.
- Repeat steps 5-7 for the other side of the hood.
- Once both struts are installed, remove the prop rod or ask your helper to release the hood and check if everything works smoothly.
Safety Precautions to Take
When replacing hood struts, it’s important to take certain safety precautions to avoid accidents. Here are some things you should keep in mind:
- Always use safety glasses to protect your eyes while working.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from any sharp edges.
- Make sure the hood is securely propped open or have someone hold it open for you.
- Never attempt to replace hood struts in windy or rainy weather, as this could make the process more difficult and dangerous.
Tips and Tricks for Making the Process Easier
Here are some helpful tips and tricks to make the process of replacing the hood struts easier and more efficient:
- Before starting the replacement process, make sure the hood struts you have purchased are the correct ones for your car’s make and model.
- You may need to use a penetrating lubricant if the hood strut nuts are difficult to remove.
- Use a socket wrench with an extension to reach the nuts in the tight spaces.
- Consider replacing both struts at the same time, even if only one of them is worn out, to ensure that the hood stays even and level.
Q: Do I really need to replace both hood struts at the same time?
A: Although it’s not mandatory to replace both struts, it’s a good idea to do so to ensure that the hood stays even and level.
Q: How often do I need to replace my hood struts?
A: Hood struts usually last around 5-10 years, depending on their usage and wear and tear. Therefore, it’s a good idea to check them periodically and replace them when they start to wear out.
Q: Is it possible to change hood struts myself, or do I need to take my car to a mechanic?
A: Definitely. Changing hood struts is an easy process that can be done by anyone with basic knowledge of car repair, the right tools, and some patience.
In conclusion, changing hood struts on your 2015 Subaru Legacy is a straightforward process that can be done without any professional help. By following the step-by-step instructions we’ve provided, you can ensure that your hood struts are replaced safely and efficiently. Remember to take all the necessary safety precautions and to use the right tools to prevent any accidents. With the right information and the correct approach, changing your hood struts can be an easy DIY task.