If you’re experiencing a side light bulb issue in your Subaru Legacy, you might be wondering how to replace it on your own. Luckily, you don’t need to be a professional mechanic to get the job done. With a few basic tools and some clear instructions, you can easily replace the side light bulb and save money on car repair costs.
Tools and Materials Needed
Before you get started, you will need the following tools and materials:
- Replacement side light bulb (check your vehicle’s manual for the correct bulb size and type)
- Gloves (optional but can help prevent oil and dirt buildup on the bulb)
- Clean cloth
Steps to Replace the Side Light Bulb
Follow these simple steps to replace the side light bulb in your Subaru Legacy:
- Turn off your vehicle’s engine and switch off the headlights.
- Open the hood of your car and locate the headlight assembly near the side light bulb that needs replacing.
- Using a screwdriver, remove the screws that hold the headlight assembly in place. Be sure to place the screws in a safe place so you don’t lose them.
- Carefully pull the headlight assembly out from the vehicle.
- Locate the side light bulb that needs replacing. It will be a small bulb located near the headlight.
- Gently turn the bulb counterclockwise to remove it from the socket. Be careful not to break the bulb or damage the socket.
- Using gloves or a clean cloth, insert the new side light bulb into the socket and twist it clockwise to secure it in place.
- Carefully reinsert the headlight assembly back into place. Be sure to secure it with the screws you removed earlier.
- Test the new bulb by turning on your vehicle’s headlights. If the side light is working, you should see it turn on.
Tips for Handling the New Bulb
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when handling the new side light bulb:
- Avoid touching the glass part of the bulb with your bare hands, as the oil and dirt from your skin can cause the bulb to heat up and burn out faster. If you do accidentally touch the bulb, wipe it clean with a clean cloth before installing it.
- Make sure the new bulb is securely in place by twisting it clockwise until it clicks into the socket.
- Double-check that you have purchased the correct bulb size and type before installing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to replace a side light bulb in a Subaru Legacy?
Replacing a side light bulb in a Subaru Legacy should only take around 10-15 minutes.
Can I replace the side light bulb without removing the headlight assembly?
In some cases, you may be able to access the side light bulb without removing the headlight assembly. However, it can be harder to see and reach the bulb this way, so removing the headlight assembly is recommended.
Do I need to replace both side light bulbs at the same time?
It’s not necessary to replace both side light bulbs at the same time, but it’s a good idea to do so if they are both old or if you are experiencing issues with both. This will ensure that both bulbs are working properly.
Where can I purchase replacement side light bulbs?
You can purchase replacement side light bulbs at most auto parts stores or online. Make sure to check your vehicle’s manual for the correct bulb size and type before purchasing.
By following these simple steps and tips, you can easily replace a side light bulb in your Subaru Legacy. With some basic tools and a little bit of know-how, you can save money on car repair costs and keep your vehicle running smoothly.