If you own a Subaru Impreza, you know that it is one of the most reliable and stylish cars on the market. However, like all vehicles, there will come a time when you need to replace the tail lights. Fortunately, changing the tail lights on a Subaru Impreza is relatively simple and can be done with minimal tools and experience. In this comprehensive guide, we will go over step-by-step instructions on how to replace the tail lights of a Subaru Impreza.
- Changing tail lights on a Subaru Impreza is easy and can be done with minimal tools and experience.
- The process involves removing the old tail light assembly, installing the new tail light assembly, and testing the lights.
- Always ensure that you have the correct replacement parts and tools before starting the process.
Before you begin, ensure that you have the following materials:
- Replacement tail lights compatible with your Subaru Impreza model
- A flathead screwdriver
- A Phillips head screwdriver
- Gloves (optional)
Step 1: Open the Trunk
Start by opening the trunk of your Subaru Impreza. Locate the back of the tail light assembly and the plastic cover on the inner side of the trunk.
Step 2: Remove the Plastic Cover
Using a flathead screwdriver, carefully remove the plastic cover by inserting it into the clips and gently prying them off.
Step 3: Disconnect the Wiring Harness
Locate the wiring harness that connects the tail light assembly to the main wiring system. To disconnect it, push down on the tab and pull it out gently.
Step 4: Remove the Tail Light Assembly
Using a Phillips head screwdriver, unscrew the bolts that hold the tail light assembly in place. Once the bolts are removed, you should be able to gently pull the tail light assembly from the car.
Step 5: Install the New Tail Light Assembly
Take the new tail light assembly and align it with the holes where the previous one was located. Secure it in place by screwing the bolts back in with the Phillips head screwdriver.
Step 6: Reconnect the Wiring Harness
Reconnect the wiring harness by pushing it back into place until you hear a click.
Step 7: Test the Tail Lights
Before closing the trunk and finalizing the installation, test the tail lights to ensure that they are working correctly.
Congratulations! You have successfully changed the tail lights on your Subaru Impreza.
Tips and Tricks
- Always double-check that you have the correct replacement tail lights for your Subaru Impreza model before starting the process.
- Wear gloves to prevent any damage to the new tail light assembly.
- While it is not necessary, it is recommended to change both tail lights at the same time to ensure a consistent look.
1. How often should I change my Subaru Impreza tail lights?
The lifespan of a tail light can vary depending on usage and environmental factors. However, it is recommended to check the tail lights periodically and replace them as soon as they start to malfunction.
2. Can I change the tail lights on my Subaru Impreza myself or should I take it to a professional?
Changing the tail lights on a Subaru Impreza is easy and can be done with minimal tools and experience. However, if you are unsure or uncomfortable with the process, it is recommended to take the car to a professional.
3. What should I do if the new tail lights are not working?
If the new tail lights are not working, double-check that they are the correct replacement parts and that the wiring harness is securely connected. If they still do not work, consult a professional mechanic.
4. Can I upgrade my Subaru Impreza tail lights to LED lights?
Yes, you can upgrade your Subaru Impreza tail lights to LED lights. However, be sure to research and purchase a compatible LED kit for your specific Subaru Impreza model.