If you’re looking for a versatile car that can carry your groceries, outdoor gear, or cargo for your small business, the Subaru Impreza might be the right choice for you. But how much weight can a Subaru Impreza carry? In this article, we’ll explore the car’s load capacity, along with its gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), payload capacity, and tow rating.
Subaru Impreza Weight Limit
The weight limit of a Subaru Impreza depends on various factors, such as its model, year, and trim. However, according to Subaru’s official website, the 2021 Impreza sedan and hatchback have a GVWR of 4,343 pounds and a payload capacity of 1,036 pounds. The GVWR is the maximum weight of the car and its accessories, including passengers and cargo. On the other hand, the payload capacity is the weight that the car can carry on its own, excluding the passengers’ weight.
In addition to the GVWR and payload capacity, the Subaru Impreza also has a tow rating that varies based on its trim and transmission. The 2021 Impreza Base and Premium trims with a manual transmission have a maximum tow rating of 1,500 pounds, while the trims with a continuously variable transmission (CVT) have a tow rating of 1,000 pounds.
Subaru Impreza Size and Cargo Space
The Subaru Impreza is a compact car, which means it has less cargo space than larger cars like SUVs or minivans. However, the Impreza still offers a decent amount of storage space that can be maximized with some smart packing techniques. The sedan model provides 12.3 cubic feet of trunk space, while the hatchback model offers up to 20.8 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear seats up and 55.3 cubic feet with the seats folded down.
To increase the Impreza’s storage capacity, you can also use roof racks, cargo carriers, or hitch-mounted cargo carriers. However, keep in mind that using these accessories can affect the car’s handling and fuel efficiency, and you should choose them wisely based on your needs and the car’s load capacity.
Tips to Maximize Subaru Impreza Load Capacity
If you need to carry heavy or bulky items with your Subaru Impreza, here are some tips to maximize its load capacity:
- Distribute the weight evenly: To prevent overloading the car’s front or rear, make sure to distribute the weight evenly across the car’s axles. You can also place heavier items at the bottom and lighter items on top to maintain stability.
- Remove unnecessary items: To reduce the car’s weight and increase its payload capacity, remove any unnecessary items from the car’s cabin or trunk.
- Check the tire pressure: Underinflated tires can affect the car’s handling and increase its fuel consumption. Check the pressure of your tires regularly and adjust it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Use soft bags instead of hard cases: Soft bags like duffle bags or backpacks can be compressed and shaped to fit the car’s storage space, while hard cases like suitcases or boxes might leave empty spaces.
- Consider the passengers’ weight: Don’t forget to factor in the weight of the passengers when calculating the car’s payload capacity.
Subaru Impreza vs. Competitors
If you’re still not sure whether the Subaru Impreza can meet your load capacity needs, here’s how it compares to some of its competitors in the compact car class:
- Honda Civic: The 2021 Honda Civic sedan has a payload capacity of 850-903 pounds, depending on the trim. The hatchback model has a cargo volume of 25.7 cubic feet (with the seats up) and a payload capacity of 860 pounds.
- Toyota Corolla: The 2021 Toyota Corolla sedan has a payload capacity of 850-926 pounds, depending on the trim. The hatchback model has a cargo volume of 18 cubic feet (with the seats up) and a payload capacity of 838 pounds.
- Mazda3: The 2021 Mazda3 sedan has a payload capacity of 915-925 pounds, depending on the trim. The hatchback model has a cargo volume of 20.1 cubic feet (with the seats up) and a payload capacity of 881-904 pounds.
Q: Can I tow a trailer with my Subaru Impreza?
A: Yes, the Subaru Impreza can tow a trailer up to its maximum tow rating, depending on its trim and transmission. However, make sure to read the car’s manual and follow the guidelines for safe towing.
Q: How much weight can I put on my Subaru Impreza roof rack?
A: The weight limit of the Subaru Impreza roof rack depends on its model and year. On average, the roof rack can support up to 150-165 pounds of cargo, including the weight of the rack itself.
Q: Can I upgrade my Subaru Impreza’s payload capacity?
A: No, the Subaru Impreza’s payload capacity is determined by its design and manufacturing specifications. You cannot upgrade the car’s payload capacity without compromising its safety and performance.
The Subaru Impreza is a versatile and reliable car that can carry a decent amount of cargo, groceries, or outdoor gear. Its weight limit depends on various factors like its GVWR, payload capacity, and tow rating, but with some smart packing techniques and accessories, you can maximize its load capacity. Whether you’re a busy parent, an adventurer, or a small business owner, the Subaru Impreza can meet your needs in terms of versatility, safety, and performance.