Are you planning a road trip or camping adventure, but worried about fitting your full-size mattress into your Subaru Forester? Don’t fret, with a few simple tips and tricks, you can easily fit your mattress and make the most of your Forester’s ample cargo space.
Full Size Mattress Dimensions
Before you start trying to fit a full-size mattress into your car, it’s important to know the dimensions of the mattress. A full-size mattress typically measures 54 inches wide by 75 inches long. Remember to measure your own mattress to ensure a perfect fit.
Subaru Forester Cargo Space
The Subaru Forester offers ample cargo space, making it a popular choice for weekend getaways and outdoor adventures. The cargo area measures 43 inches wide by 32 inches deep by 36 inches tall, providing enough space to fit your full-size mattress.
How to Maneuver the Mattress into the Car
Now that you know your mattress and cargo area measurements, it’s time to maneuver the mattress into your car. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
Fold down the rear seats and remove any cargo or obstacles from the cargo area.
Place your mattress on the ground behind the car and position it vertically.
Tilt the mattress and slide it into the cargo area, making sure it’s centered and lined up with the back of the front seats.
Push the mattress all the way in until it rests against the front seats.
Adjust the mattress as necessary to ensure a secure fit and that it does not obstruct your view while driving.
Tips and Tricks for Fitting the Mattress Securely
To ensure a safe and secure fit, here are some additional tips and tricks:
- Use bungee cords or straps to hold the mattress securely in place. Make sure the cords are tight enough to keep the mattress from shifting while driving, but not so tight that they damage the mattress or the car.
- Cover the mattress with a protective layer, such as a tarp or blanket, to prevent damage from shifting or rubbing against other cargo.
- Place heavier items around the edges of the mattress to prevent it from moving around during transit.
- Make sure the mattress does not obstruct any airbags, seat belts, or other safety features in your Forester.
Potential Damage to the Car or the Mattress
While fitting a full-size mattress into your Forester is generally safe and easy, there are a few potential risks to consider, including:
- Damage to the car’s interior or exterior from sliding or shifting cargo.
- Damage to the mattress from rubbing against other cargo, or from being compressed or bent in transit.
- Safety hazards, such as obstructed airbags or seat belts.
To avoid these risks, follow the tips and tricks outlined above and make sure to secure your mattress and other cargo properly before hitting the road.
Maximizing Storage Space
While fitting a full-size mattress in your Forester is certainly impressive, don’t stop there. Here are some additional tips for maximizing your car’s storage space:
- Use storage bins and organizers to keep smaller items in place and prevent them from cluttering up your cargo area.
- Install a roof rack or cargo carrier for additional storage space.
- Consider folding down the front passenger seat for even more storage space (just make sure it’s safe and legal to do so in your area).
- Use packing cubes or compression bags to make the most of your available space and keep items organized and compact.
Can I fit a queen-size mattress in my Forester?
No, a queen-size mattress measures 60 inches wide by 80 inches long, which is too wide to fit comfortably in a Forester’s cargo area.
Can I fit other furniture items in my Forester?
While a full-size mattress is one of the largest items you can fit in your Forester, you can certainly fit other furniture items, such as chairs, small tables, and even bookcases, with the right preparation and packing techniques.
Is it safe to fold down the front passenger seat for more storage space?
It depends on the specific laws and regulations in your area, as well as the safety features of your car. Research your specific car model and local laws before attempting to fold down the front passenger seat.