Owning a car comes with its own set of responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to keep the car key battery up and running. A dead car key battery can leave you stranded and frustrated. If you are a proud owner of a Subaru Forester, then you’re in luck, because changing the battery in your key is a simple process that you can do yourself.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of changing the battery in your Subaru Forester key. We’ll cover the tools you’ll need, the steps involved, and some tips for ensuring that the new battery is properly installed.
Tools you’ll need
The tools you’ll need for this process are easily available, and you may already have them at home. Here is what you’ll need:
- Replacement battery (CR1620)
- Small flat-head screwdriver
Steps to follow
Follow these simple and easy steps to successfully replace the battery in your Subaru Forester key:
- Locate the keyhole on your key and insert your small flat-head screwdriver into the slot to pry open the key cover.
- Gently remove the key cover and place it aside.
- Take out the old battery out of the key using your screwdriver. Be careful not to damage the mechanism.
- Insert the new battery in the same orientation as the old battery. You should feel a click when the battery is securely in place.
- Put the cover back on the key carefully, and make sure it is properly aligned before applying pressure to snap it back into place.
Tips for a properly functioning battery
Now that you know how to replace the battery, here are a few tips to ensure that your new battery is working correctly and lasts as long as possible:
- Keep your key away from extreme temperatures, as heat or cold can cause damage or drain the battery quickly.
- Always insert the battery with the plus (+) sign facing up. This ensures that the current flows in the correct direction.
- If the key battery is left unused for an extended period, it’s a good idea to remove the battery to minimize leakage and damage to the key.
Q: How often do I need to replace the battery in my Subaru Forester?
A: The lifespan of a Subaru Forester key battery varies. However, it’s recommended to replace the battery at least once a year to ensure optimal performance.
Q: What should I do if my key battery dies and I don’t have a replacement battery?
A: You can still access your car by physically opening the door with your key. However, you will need to use a replacement battery in the key fob to start your car or access the remote features.
Q: Can I use any battery, or does it have to be a specific brand or type?
A: It’s highly recommended to use a CR1620 battery, which is a widely-used battery for car keys. Using a different battery may cause damage to the key or not fit correctly.
In conclusion, replacing the battery in your Subaru Forester key is a straightforward and simple process that you can do yourself. By following the steps and tips outlined in this guide, you’ll be sure to have a properly functioning key, without the need for an expensive visit to the dealership.