If you’re a Subaru Crosstrek owner or a potential buyer, you’d probably agree that being able to start your vehicle remotely would be a huge plus. After all, who doesn’t want to pre-heat or pre-cool their car before getting in, especially during extreme weather conditions? The good news is, the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek comes with remote start technology that makes this possible. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps to remote start your car and provide you with some safety tips along the way.
Benefits of Remote Start Technology
Remote start technology lets you start your vehicle’s engine from a remote location. It typically involves fob or app-controlled ignition systems that are integrated into your car. With remote start, you can:
- Warm up the engine before driving, which can help extend the engine’s lifespan.
- Keep your car cool during hot weather or warm during cold weather, making your drive more comfortable.
- Save time by eliminating the need to manually start your car before driving.
- Boost safety by improving your visibility as you can clear ice, fog, or condensation from the windshield before driving.
- Protect the environment by reducing carbon emissions from idling in the parking lot.
Requirements for Remote Starting the Vehicle
To use the remote start feature in your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek, you’ll need:
- A compatible remote start fob or smartphone app that’s connected to your car’s system.
- A valid subscription to the Subaru Starlink Safety and Security Plus package that includes Remote Engine Start with Climate Control.
Please note that the remote start feature is not available for manual transmission models.
Steps for Setting up Remote Start
Here are the steps to remote start your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek:
- Make sure your car is in park mode and the parking brake is on.
- Press the lock button on your remote start fob or smartphone app to lock your car.
- Press and hold the remote start button for at least three seconds, and your car will start automatically. Your car’s engine will run for up to 15 minutes or until you manually stop it by pressing the brake pedal.
Please note that for safety reasons, your car’s engine will shut down if you or anyone else tries to unlock your car with a key while the remote start is active. Also, if you don’t enter the car within 15 minutes, your car’s engine will turn off automatically.
Precautions and Safety Measures to Consider
Remote start technology can provide you with a lot of convenience and comfort, but we recommend that you follow these safety tips to avoid accidents or damage to your car:
- Always park your car in a safe and secure location before using the remote start feature.
- Never leave children or pets unattended in the car, even if you’re just remote starting it.
- Be mindful of your car’s surroundings when remote starting it. Ensure there’s enough clearance around the car and that there are no obstacles nearby.
- Don’t remote start your car in a closed garage or other enclosed spaces, as carbon monoxide emissions can be hazardous to your health.
Troubleshooting Tips for Common Issues
If you experience any difficulty with your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek’s remote start system, here are some troubleshooting tips to consider:
- Ensure that your fob or smartphone app is within range of your car when you activate the remote start.
- Check your subscription status for the Subaru Starlink Safety and Security Plus package. If your subscription has expired, you won’t be able to use the remote start feature.
- If the remote start fails, check your car’s battery status. If your car’s battery is low, the remote start feature may not work correctly.
- If you continue to have issues, contact your nearest Subaru dealer for assistance.
Remote start technology is a great feature to have in your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek. With the right setup and precautions, you can enjoy the convenience and comfort it offers. Remember to follow the safety tips we’ve outlined in this article and troubleshoot any issues according to our suggestions. As we look to the future, we can expect remote start technology to evolve alongside other smart car features, making our lives on the road even better.