Are you a proud Subaru Crosstrek owner who wants to maintain their vehicle on their own? If yes, then replacing your car’s wiper blades should be on your maintenance checklist. A small task like this can greatly improve your driving visibility and safety.
In this article, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide to replace your Subaru Crosstrek wiper blades. Whether you are a beginner or have some basic knowledge, you will find this guide informative and easy to understand.
Importance of Replacing Wiper Blades
Wiper blades are an essential component of your car’s safety system as they provide a clear field of vision during rainy, snowy, or dusty weather conditions. With regular use, the rubber blades wear out, resulting in streaking, poor visibility, and potential safety hazards.
Replacing your wiper blades can improve your visibility, provide a clean windshield, and enhance your safety on the road. Therefore, it is highly recommended to change your wiper blades at least once a year or whenever you notice streaking or skipping.
Types of Wiper Blades Available
Before replacing your Subaru Crosstrek wiper blades, you need to know the type of blades your car uses. The two common types of wiper blades are:
- Traditional Bracket Blades: These are the standard wiper blades that use a metal frame and rubber blade. They are widely available, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
- Beam Blades: Also known as flat blades, these wiper blades use a single piece of rubber with a tensioned steel spring. They are more aerodynamic, provide better cleaning performance, and are relatively expensive.
Subaru Crosstrek models usually come with traditional bracket blades, but some newer models may use beam blades. Check your car’s owner manual or consult a mechanic if you are unsure of the type of blade your car uses.
Tools Required to Replace Wiper Blades
Replace your Subaru Crosstrek wiper blades with the following tools:
- New wiper blades compatible with your car’s make and model
- Soft cloth or towel
- Optional: Wiper blade cleaning solution, pliers
Step-by-Step Guide to Replace Your Wiper Blades
Follow these simple steps to replace your Subaru Crosstrek’s wiper blades:
- Position your wipers vertically: Lift your wipers up so that they are perpendicular to the windshield. This way, you can access the blade easily.
- Remove the old wiper blades: Locate the release tab or button on the wiper blade assembly. Press or lift it, and slide the blade downwards to remove it from the arm.
- Clean the wiper blade assembly: Before installing the new blades, clean the metal blades with a soft cloth or a wiper blade cleaning solution. This removes any dirt, dust, or debris that may have accumulated over time.
- Install the new wiper blades: Make sure you use the right size and type of wiper blades that fit your car. Follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to install the new blades. Typically, you need to slide the blade onto the arm and click it until you hear a snap or feel it lock into place.
- Test the new blades: Lower the wiper blades to the windshield and turn them on to check if they work correctly. If they do not, check if they are correctly installed or if you need to adjust the tension.
Congratulations! You have successfully replaced your Subaru Crosstrek wiper blades.
Tips for Maintaining Wiper Blades
Maintaining your wiper blades can prolong their life and ensure optimal performance. Here are some tips to keep your wiper blades in good condition:
- Clean the windshield regularly to prevent dirt and debris buildup
- Avoid using the wipers on a dry or icy windshield as it can damage the rubber
- Do not lift the wiper blades off the windshield or use them to clear heavy debris
- Replace the blades if you notice streaking, skipping, or cracking
- Store the wiper blades in a dry and shaded place during hot weather
Q. Can I replace my Subaru Crosstrek’s wiper blades myself?
Yes, definitely. Replacing wiper blades is a simple and straightforward task that requires minimum tools and time. You can save money and learn a new skill by replacing them yourself.
Q. How often should I replace my Subaru Crosstrek’s wiper blades?
It is recommended to replace your wiper blades at least once a year or whenever you notice streaking, skipping, or poor cleaning performance.
Q. Can I replace my Subaru Crosstrek’s traditional bracket blades with beam blades?
Yes, you can. However, make sure that the beam blades you choose are compatible with your car’s make and model, and you may need to purchase wiper blades adapter brackets.
Maintaining your Subaru Crosstrek’s wiper blades is a simple and essential maintenance task that can greatly improve your visibility and safety on the road. By replacing your wiper blades regularly and following the tips mentioned above, you can ensure optimal performance and a clean windshield.