If you’re a DIY or car enthusiast, changing a batwing light on your Subaru Crosstrek may seem daunting. However, with the right tools and instructions, you can easily replace the light fixture yourself. This guide will walk you through the process step-by-step, providing you with the knowledge and confidence to tackle the task.
What is a Batwing Light Fixture?
Before we dive into the details of changing the light, let’s start with the basics. The batwing light fixture on your Subaru Crosstrek is a separate unit that houses your turn signal and brake light. It’s located on the side of your car, near the rear wheel, and can be easily identified by its unique wing-like shape.
Tools Required to Change the Light
To change the batwing light on your Subaru Crosstrek, you’ll need the following tools:
- Socket wrench set
- Replacement batwing light (make sure to verify the correct model for your car)
Step-by-Step Instructions on How to Change the Light
Now that you have your tools ready, it’s time to start changing the light. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Remove the taillight assembly by removing the two screws on the inside of the taillight using your screwdriver.
- Remove the two retaining nuts located on the inside of the bumper cover using a socket wrench.
- Carefully release the clips on the backside of the batwing light assembly and remove the light from the car.
- Remove the bulb from the light socket by turning it counter-clockwise and pulling it out of the socket.
- Insert the new bulb into the socket by pushing it in and turning it clockwise until it locks into place.
- Re-attach the clips on the backside of the batwing light assembly and align the light with the holes on the bumper cover.
- Replace and tighten the two retaining nuts on the inside of the bumper cover.
- Place the taillight assembly back onto the car and insert and tighten the two screws on the inside of the taillight using your screwdriver.
Common Mistakes to Avoid While Changing the Light
It’s important to be careful when handling the light assembly to avoid making mistakes. Some common mistakes you should keep in mind include:
- Dropping or damaging the light assembly during removal or installation.
- Using the wrong tools or not tightening the nuts and screws enough.
- Forgetting to align the light assembly with the holes on the bumper cover.
Tips on Ensuring the New Light is Secure
Once you’ve successfully installed the new batwing light, it’s important to ensure that it’s secure. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Check that all the nuts and screws are properly tightened.
- Double-check that the light is aligned with the holes on the bumper cover.
- Test the new light to make sure it’s functioning properly before putting the taillight assembly back on.
A List of Safety Precautions While Changing the Light
Finally, it’s essential to keep safety in mind while changing the light. Here’s a list of safety precautions you should follow:
- Don’t touch the bulb with your fingers, as it can cause premature failure due to oil residue.
- Always disconnect your car’s battery before performing any electrical work.
- Use caution when removing the taillight assembly, as it can be heavy and awkward to maneuver.
- Wear gloves and eye protection to avoid injury.
Now that you have all the information you need, you’re ready to change the batwing light on your Subaru Crosstrek. Remember, take your time, follow the instructions carefully, and keep safety in mind. With a little patience, you’ll be able to complete this task like a pro.