- The Subaru Crosstrek has a high ground clearance, making it a great off-road vehicle that can handle rough terrains and wet conditions.
- The Crosstrek’s engine has some waterproofing features, but it is not entirely waterproof.
- Subaru advises against submerging the Crosstrek in water, as it may damage the engine and the electrical components.
When it comes to driving in wet conditions, having a car with a waterproof engine can give you peace of mind. If you’re considering purchasing a Subaru Crosstrek, you may be wondering if its engine is waterproof. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the Crosstrek’s engine and its ability to withstand wet conditions.
Waterproofing Features in the Crosstrek Engine
The Subaru Crosstrek comes equipped with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 152 horsepower and 145 lb-ft of torque. The engine has some waterproofing features that make it more resistant to water damage, such as a high-mounted intake and a specially designed air cleaner that can prevent water from entering the engine.
The Crosstrek also has a high ground clearance of 8.7 inches, which means it can handle wet and rough terrains without the risk of water or mud getting into the engine. The vehicle’s underbody has been specially designed to deflect water and prevent it from splashing into the engine compartment.
While the Crosstrek’s engine has some waterproofing features, it is important to note that it is not entirely waterproof. If the vehicle is submerged in water, there is a risk of water entering the engine and causing damage to the electrical components.
Subaru advises against submerging the Crosstrek in water, as it may damage the engine and the electrical components. The owner’s manual states that the vehicle is designed for driving on roads and off-road trails, but it is not intended for water fording or deep water crossings.
If you do encounter a flooded area, Subaru recommends that you turn around and find an alternate route. If you must drive through water, they advise that you do so slowly and carefully, as water can cause damage to the engine, transmission, and other components.
Tips for Driving in Wet Conditions
While the Crosstrek’s engine has some waterproofing features, it is always a good idea to take precautions when driving in wet conditions. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Slow down: Wet roads can be slippery, so it’s important to reduce your speed to prevent losing control of the vehicle.
- Increase your following distance: It takes longer to stop on wet roads, so give yourself more room between you and the car in front of you.
- Check your tires: Make sure your tires are properly inflated and have enough tread to maintain traction on wet roads.
- Avoid sudden movements: Rapid acceleration, braking, and turning can cause your car to skid on wet roads.
- Use your headlights: Turning on your headlights can help you see the road and make it easier for other drivers to see you.
In conclusion, the Subaru Crosstrek’s engine has some waterproofing features that make it more resistant to water damage. However, it is not entirely waterproof, and Subaru advises against submerging the vehicle in water. If you live in an area with frequent rain or wet conditions, it is important to take precautions when driving and avoid flooded areas whenever possible. With proper care and maintenance, your Crosstrek’s engine should be able to withstand wet conditions and provide you with a reliable driving experience.
How deep can the Subaru Crosstrek go in water?
Subaru advises against water fording or deep water crossings with the Crosstrek. The vehicle is not designed for submersion in water, and there is a risk of damage to the engine and electrical components if it is submerged.
Can I drive my Crosstrek through puddles?
It is generally safe to drive through puddles with the Crosstrek, as long as they are not too deep. However, it is important to take precautions and drive slowly to prevent water from splashing into the engine compartment.
What should I do if my Crosstrek’s engine gets wet?
If your Crosstrek’s engine gets wet, it is important to turn off the engine and let it dry out before attempting to start it again. You may also want to have the vehicle inspected by a professional to ensure that there is no water damage to the engine or the electrical components.