If you own or plan to own a Subaru Crosstrek and need to transport a queen-sized mattress, you might be wondering if it’s possible. The good news is that it is possible, with a little bit of planning and preparation. In this article, we will explain the dimensions and limitations of a Subaru Crosstrek, provide step-by-step instructions on measuring both the mattress and the car’s cargo space, offer tips on packing and securing the mattress, and suggest precautions to take during transportation.
Dimensions and Limitations of a Subaru Crosstrek
The 2021 Subaru Crosstrek measures 175.8 inches in length, 71 inches in width, and 63.6 inches in height. Its cargo area measures 20.8 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 55.3 cubic feet with the rear seats down. These measurements give you an idea of the space you have to work with when fitting a queen-sized mattress in your Crosstrek.
Keep in mind that the mattress must fit in the cargo area without interfering with the driver’s view or impeding the driver’s ability to operate the vehicle safely. Also, consider the weight of the mattress, as it will affect the handling and performance of the car.
Measuring the Mattress and the Cargo Space
Before transporting your queen-sized mattress, you need to measure both the mattress and the car’s cargo space to ensure a proper fit. Here’s how to measure them:
Measuring the Mattress
- Lay the mattress flat on the floor and remove any bedding.
- Measure its length by running a tape measure from the head of the mattress to its foot.
- Measure its width by running a tape measure from one side to the other.
- Record the measurements and add a few inches to account for any compression or bulging that may occur during transportation.
Measuring the Cargo Space
- Open the rear hatch of your Crosstrek and remove any items from the cargo area.
- Measure the length of the cargo area from the back of the rear seats to the rear hatch.
- Measure the width of the cargo area at its widest point.
- Measure the height of the cargo area from the floor to the ceiling.
- Record the measurements and compare them to the measurements of your mattress to determine if it will fit.
Packing and Securing the Mattress
Once you have determined that your mattress will fit in your Crosstrek, it’s time to pack and secure it properly. Follow these tips to ensure a safe and secure transportation:
- Use a plastic mattress bag to protect the mattress from dirt and damage.
- Fold the mattress in half lengthwise to make it easier to carry and fit in the cargo area.
- Place the mattress in the cargo area with the folded side facing the roof of the car.
- Make sure the mattress is lying flat and not bulging or touching the sides of the cargo area.
- Secure the mattress with bungee cords or tie-down straps to prevent it from shifting during transportation.
Precautions to Take During Transportation
Transporting a queen-sized mattress in your Crosstrek requires taking some precautions to ensure your safety and the safety of others on the road. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Make sure the mattress is fully secured and cannot shift or fall out while driving.
- Check the weight distribution of your car and adjust it if necessary to ensure proper handling.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles while driving, as the mattress will affect your visibility and braking distance.
- Drive slowly and smoothly to avoid sudden stops or turns that could cause the mattress to shift or fall.
Can I fit a king-sized mattress in my Crosstrek?
No, the Crosstrek’s cargo area is not large enough to fit a king-sized mattress.
Can I transport other large items in my Crosstrek?
Yes, the Crosstrek’s cargo area is versatile and can accommodate other large items such as furniture, sporting equipment, and camping gear.
Do I need any special equipment to transport a mattress in my Crosstrek?
You may need bungee cords or tie-down straps to properly secure the mattress in your cargo area. A plastic mattress bag can also protect the mattress from dirt and damage.
Fitting a queen-sized mattress in your Subaru Crosstrek is possible, but it requires some planning and preparation. By measuring both the mattress and the cargo space, packing and securing the mattress properly, and taking precautions during transportation, you can safely and easily transport your mattress in your Crosstrek. Plus, owning a car that is versatile enough to transport large items can be a real asset for the outdoorsy and budget-savvy.