As a Subaru Crosstrek owner, it’s important to take charge of your car maintenance and routine upkeep. One of the most essential elements of vehicle performance is proper oil life monitoring and timely oil changes. In order to maintain your Crosstrek’s optimal performance, it’s important to know how to reset oil life. Don’t worry if you don’t know where to start; this article will guide you through the process step by step.
Understanding Oil Life and Its Importance
In modern cars like the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek, there’s an advanced algorithm that monitors how much life the engine oil has left. This is known as "oil life monitoring." The system analyzes the driver’s habits, such as the number of miles driven, the type of driving, and other factors to determine the life of engine oil.
As a part of routine car maintenance, it’s crucial to change the engine oil before the oil life indicator reaches zero. Consistent oil changes can increase the lifespan of your vehicle, avoid expensive repairs and maintain the optimal performance of your Subaru Crosstrek.
Step-by-Step Guide to Reset Oil Life on 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Here’s a step-by-step guide to reset oil life on your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek:
- First, turn on the ignition of your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek – but don’t start the engine.
- Next, press the "Home" button on the infotainment system screen. You can find this on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down to "Settings" on the right-hand side of the screen and tap it.
- Scroll down to "Vehicle" in the new menu, then select "Maintenance."
- From the maintenance menu, click on "Set Vehicle Identification Number".
- You will see a message asking if you want to update your vehicle identification number. Click "Yes."
- Enter your car’s VIN number (which can be found on your vehicle registration) using the input screen.
- After entering the VIN number, click "Save" to update the number.
- Go back to the maintenance menu, and select "Engine Oil."
- Then, click on "Reset."
- Finally, click on "Yes" when prompted to reset the oil life monitoring system.
Once you complete these steps, the oil life monitor on your Crosstrek will be fully reset.
Tools Required to Reset Oil Life on 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
The good news is that resetting oil life on the 2021 Subaru Crosstrek isn’t complicated. You don’t need any special tools or equipment – all you need is your infotainment system touch screen and basic knowledge of how to operate it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How often should I change my engine oil?
A: It’s recommended to change your engine oil and filter every 7,500 miles or 6 months (whichever comes first). However, for severe driving conditions, it’s recommended to replace the oil at least every 3,750 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.
Q: Can resetting oil life harm my vehicle?
A: No, resetting oil life monitoring on your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek won’t damage your vehicle. It’s perfectly safe and can help you maintain optimal vehicle performance.
Q. What does it mean if the oil life on my Crosstrek is low?
A: The low oil life message on your Crosstrek dashboard indicates that the car should have its engine oil changed soon. It’s important to change the oil as soon as possible.
Q: Can I reset oil life on my Subaru Crosstrek during an oil change service?
A: No, the oil life monitoring system reset cannot be completed while the oil is being changed. It must be done separately.
Knowing how to reset oil life on your 2021 Subaru Crosstrek is essential to maintain optimal engine performance, avoid expensive repairs, and extend the lifespan of your vehicle. By following these simple steps, you can easily reset the oil life monitoring system on your Subaru Crosstrek all on your own.