Subaru Crosstrek is a popular compact SUV that offers impressive fuel economy, off-road capability, and sporty performance combined with a spacious interior. If you own a 2013 Crosstrek, you must prioritize its maintenance to avoid costly repairs and ensure longevity. One of the essential aspects of car care is maintaining the proper oil level and changing the oil regularly. In this article, we will discuss the oil capacity of a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, explain the type of oil to use, how often to change the oil, and the benefits of regular oil changes.
How much oil does a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek hold?
The 2013 Subaru Crosstrek can hold up to 5.1 quarts of oil, including the filter. It is essential to use the recommended oil viscosity for your Crosstrek, as specified in the owner’s manual. For 2013 Crosstreks, Subaru recommends using synthetic 0W-20 oil for optimum engine performance and fuel economy.
Why is regular oil change important for your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek?
Oil is the lifeblood of an engine and plays a crucial role in lubricating engine parts, reducing friction, cooling down the engine, and preventing wear and tear. Over time, as oil circulates through the engine, it breaks down, loses its viscosity, and becomes contaminated with dirt, debris, and other impurities. Neglecting regular oil changes can lead to decreased engine performance, reduced fuel efficiency, and even engine failure.
To keep your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek running smoothly, it is recommended to change the oil every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first. However, if you use your Crosstrek for frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, or dusty conditions, you may need to change the oil more frequently.
Benefits of regular oil changes
Regular oil changes provide several benefits to your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, including:
- Better engine performance: Clean oil helps the engine parts move smoothly, reducing friction and enhancing performance.
- Improved fuel economy: Fresh oil reduces engine drag, boosting fuel efficiency and saving you money at the gas pump.
- Longer engine life: Regular oil changes prevent engine wear and tear, extending the engine’s life and protecting your investment.
- Safer driving: A well-maintained engine is less likely to break down unexpectedly, reducing the risk of accidents.
How to perform an oil change on your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
Performing an oil change on your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek is relatively easy and can save you money on mechanic fees. However, it requires some basic tools, such as a socket wrench, oil filter wrench, and a drain pan. Here are the steps to follow:
- Park your Crosstrek on a level surface and let the engine cool down.
- Locate the oil drain plug and remove it using a socket wrench.
- Let the oil drain into a pan and dispose of it responsibly.
- Remove the old oil filter using an oil filter wrench and replace it with a new one.
- Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with fresh oil and screw it on by hand.
- Refill the engine with 5.1 quarts of the recommended synthetic oil using a funnel.
- Check the oil level using the dipstick and add more oil if necessary.
- Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes, then turn it off and check for leaks.
- Dispose of the old oil and filter at a recycling center.
Regular oil changes are crucial to the health and performance of your 2013 Subaru Crosstrek. By maintaining the proper oil level and changing the oil regularly, you can avoid costly engine repairs and maximize the lifespan of your Crosstrek. It is also essential to use the recommended synthetic oil and follow the maintenance schedule in the owner’s manual. Following these tips will help you keep your Crosstrek running smoothly and enjoy the ride for years to come.
Q: Can I use conventional oil instead of synthetic oil for my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek?
A: While you can use conventional oil, Subaru recommends using synthetic 0W-20 oil for optimal engine performance, fuel economy, and emissions compliance.
Q: How do I know when to change the oil in my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek?
A: It is recommended to change the oil every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first. However, if you use your Crosstrek for frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, or dusty conditions, you may need to change the oil more frequently.
Q: Can I perform an oil change on my 2013 Subaru Crosstrek myself?
A: Yes, performing an oil change is relatively easy and can save you money on mechanic fees. However, it requires some basic tools and knowledge. You can refer to the owner’s manual or online tutorials for guidance. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to leave it to a professional mechanic.