If you’re a Subaru BRZ owner looking to upgrade your ride’s performance, you may be wondering about the benefits of using E85 fuel. E85 is a type of fuel that contains 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, which offers some unique advantages over regular gasoline. In this article, we’ll look at how E85 fuel can boost the power of your Subaru BRZ, as well as some basic tips for using E85 fuel.
What is E85 fuel and how does it differ from regular gasoline?
As mentioned, E85 fuel is a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel that is usually produced from corn, sugarcane, or other crops. Compared to gasoline, ethanol has a higher octane rating, which makes it more resistant to engine knocking and allows it to burn more efficiently in high-performance engines like the one in the Subaru BRZ.
One of the biggest differences between E85 and gasoline is the amount of oxygen in the fuel. E85 has a higher oxygen content, which helps to burn the fuel more efficiently and can lead to a significant increase in power output.
How much power can E85 give on a Subaru BRZ compared to regular gasoline?
The power output of a Subaru BRZ using E85 fuel can vary depending on several factors, such as the engine modifications and tuning. However, it is generally accepted that E85 can provide a significant boost in power over regular gasoline, especially in turbocharged engines.
On average, using E85 fuel can increase the power output of a Subaru BRZ by around 10-15%, which can translate into a noticeable improvement in acceleration and overall performance. Depending on the engine modifications, this increase in power can be even higher.
How does E85 impact a Subaru BRZ’s fuel economy?
One potential downside of using E85 fuel is its impact on fuel economy. Ethanol has a lower energy density than gasoline, which means that it can reduce the fuel economy of a car when compared to using regular gasoline.
In the case of the Subaru BRZ, using E85 fuel can result in a reduction in fuel economy of around 20-30% compared to regular gasoline. This means that you will need to fill up more often and spend more money on fuel overall.
Pros and cons of using E85 on a Subaru BRZ
Here are some pros and cons of using E85 fuel on your Subaru BRZ:
- E85 can significantly increase the power output of your engine
- E85 can be a more environmentally-friendly option, as it is often produced from renewable resources
- E85 is generally cheaper than regular gasoline
- E85 can be harder to find at gas stations compared to regular gasoline
- E85 can decrease your fuel economy, which can lead to more frequent fill-ups and higher overall fuel costs
- Using E85 may require additional engine modifications or tuning to avoid engine damage
Basic tips for using E85 fuel on a Subaru BRZ
If you decide to use E85 fuel on your Subaru BRZ, here are some basic tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure your car is compatible with E85 fuel. Not all cars are designed to run on E85, so it’s important to check your owner’s manual or consult a mechanic before using E85.
- Use a fuel pump that is specifically designed for E85 fuel. Using a regular gasoline pump to fill up with E85 can lead to engine damage.
- Be prepared for more frequent fill-ups. As mentioned, E85 can decrease your fuel economy, which means you’ll need to fill up more often.
- Consider getting your car tuned or modified for E85. While not necessary, modifications like larger fuel injectors or an upgraded fuel pump can help you maximize the benefits of using E85 fuel.
Overall, using E85 fuel can be a great way to boost the performance of your Subaru BRZ, but it does come with some tradeoffs like reduced fuel economy. By considering the pros and cons and following some basic tips for using E85 fuel, you can make an informed decision about whether this fuel is right for your needs.