If you are considering purchasing a 2020 Subaru Ascent or currently own one, it is important to be aware of any potential problems or concerns associated with the car. One issue that has been reported by some owners is CVT (continuously variable transmission) problems. In this article, we will go over what CVTs are, how they work, and what common problems may arise with the 2020 Subaru Ascent. We will also provide information on potential solutions or fixes to these issues.
CVTs are a type of transmission that differs from traditional automatic or manual transmissions. Instead of using a set number of gears, CVTs use a system of pulleys and belts to create an infinite number of gear ratios. This allows for a smoother and more efficient ride, as the engine can always operate at its optimal speed.
However, some drivers may find the experience of driving a car with a CVT to be different from what they are used to with traditional transmissions. For example, the car may not accelerate as quickly or may produce different noises while driving. It is important for drivers to be aware of these differences and adjust their driving habits accordingly.
Common CVT Problems with the 2020 Subaru Ascent
While CVTs can provide benefits such as improved fuel efficiency and smoother rides, they can also be prone to certain problems. Some common issues that have been reported by 2020 Subaru Ascent owners include:
- Shuddering or jerking: Some drivers have reported that their Ascents will shudder or jerk during acceleration or while driving at a steady speed. This could be caused by a variety of factors, such as a faulty torque converter or belt slipping.
- Lack of power: Some drivers have also reported that their Ascents seem to lack power when accelerating or driving uphill. This could be caused by a variety of issues, such as a malfunctioning valve body or worn-out pulleys.
- Transmission fluid leaks: Some owners have reported that their Ascents have experienced transmission fluid leaks, which can cause damage to the transmission if not addressed.
It is important to note that not all 2020 Subaru Ascent vehicles will experience these problems. However, it is recommended to stay vigilant and aware of any potential issues to avoid more serious problems down the road.
Potential Solutions or Fixes
If you are experiencing any of the common CVT problems with your 2020 Subaru Ascent, there are potential solutions or fixes that can be made. Depending on the specific issue, some solutions may include:
- Replacing the torque converter: If the shuddering or jerking is caused by a faulty torque converter, replacing the part may solve the issue.
- Replacing worn-out parts: If lack of power or other performance issues are caused by worn-out parts such as pulleys or the valve body, replacing these parts may improve performance.
- Addressing transmission fluid leaks: Identifying and addressing any transmission fluid leaks can help prevent more serious damage to the transmission.
If you are unsure about how to address any CVT problems with your 2020 Subaru Ascent, it is recommended to bring it to a certified Subaru mechanic for evaluation and repair.
Other Notable Issues or Concerns
While CVT problems have been reported by some 2020 Subaru Ascent owners, it is important to note that the car has generally been well-received and praised by reviewers and drivers. Some other notable issues or concerns that have been mentioned include:
- Hill descent and ascent control: Some drivers have reported that the hill descent and ascent control can be a bit rough or hesitant, especially when going downhill.
- Infotainment system issues: Some drivers have reported issues with the car’s infotainment system, such as difficulty connecting to phones or problems with the sound system.
If you are considering or currently own a 2020 Subaru Ascent, it is important to be aware of any potential issues or problems associated with the car. While some CVT problems have been reported, it is important to note that not all Ascent vehicles will experience these problems. By staying informed and taking preventative measures, you can help ensure a smooth and enjoyable ownership experience with your 2020 Subaru Ascent.