The 2019 Subaru Ascent’s navigation system comes with a range of features that make driving a pleasure. However, sometimes manually inputting an address and navigating through the menus while driving can be distracting. That’s where voice commands come in. By using voice commands, you can keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road while controlling the navigation system. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about using voice commands for the Subaru Ascent’s navigation system.
Activating Voice Commands
Before you can use voice commands, you need to activate the feature. On your Ascent’s infotainment screen, select the "Navigation" option, then the gear icon on the bottom right-hand side. From there, select "Voice Recognition Settings" and click "On." You can now start using voice commands.
Basic Voice Commands
The 2019 Subaru Ascent’s navigation system offers simple and intuitive voice commands. You can use these to search for a destination, start navigation, and identify directions or specific locations on your current route. Here are some of the key voice commands to get started:
- "Find a destination" – this command initiates a search for your desired destination
- "Navigate to [location]" – this command starts navigation to your selected destination
- "Show/Hide Map" – this command toggles the map display on or off
- "What’s my next turn?" – this command identifies the next turn or direction on your route
- "Find a gas station" – this command locates nearby gas stations
- "Find a restaurant" – this command locates nearby restaurants
- "Find a hotel" – this command locates nearby hotels
Tips for Effective Voice Command Usage
While using voice commands is more convenient, there are still some best practices to follow to ensure smooth usage. Here are some tips to make the experience seamless:
- Speak clearly and naturally – try to enunciate your words clearly and avoid speaking too quickly or too slowly
- Use specific commands – the system works better with precise commands, so try to use specific destination names and nearby points of interest
- Wait for the beep – when you hear the beep, begin speaking your command
- Pause between commands – waiting for the system to respond to each command before speaking again will help avoid confusion and misinterpretation
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Like any technology, there are some pitfalls to avoid while using the voice-activated navigation system. Here are some common mistakes to watch out for:
- Speaking too loudly or too softly – the system works best when you speak in a normal conversational tone
- Using vague directions – commands like "This way" or "Over there" can confuse the system. Always use specific directions or landmarks to specify your location
Limitations and Potential Issues
While the Subaru Ascent’s voice-activated navigation system is a useful tool, there are some limitations and potential issues to keep in mind. For instance, the system may not recognize certain accents, particularly if you have a strong regional accent. Additionally, the system may have trouble interpreting complex or lengthy commands. So, it’s always best to keep your commands as simple and specific as possible.
The 2019 Subaru Ascent’s navigation system offers a range of features that make driving easier and more enjoyable. By using voice commands, you can take advantage of the system’s convenience while staying focused on the road ahead. With this guide, you should have the knowledge you need to start using voice commands for your Subaru Ascent’s navigation system. Give it a try and see how easy and convenient it can be.