If you’re an RV owner, you may be wondering whether you can safely tow your Subaru Ascent behind your motorhome to your next adventure. The short answer is yes, a Subaru Ascent can be towed behind an RV. However, there are important factors to consider, including weight, towing capacity, and equipment.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll go over everything you need to know about towing a Subaru Ascent behind an RV. We’ll cover the Ascent’s weight and towing capacity, the necessary equipment, and step-by-step instructions for the towing process. By the end of this article, you’ll have all the information you need to safely and confidently tow your Ascent behind your RV.
- A Subaru Ascent can be safely towed behind an RV.
- The Ascent has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.
- You will need a special towing equipment, such as a hitch and tow bar, to tow your Ascent behind your RV.
- It’s important to follow manufacturer guidelines and safety precautions to ensure a safe towing experience.
Towing Capacity and Weight
Before towing your Subaru Ascent behind your RV, it’s important to understand the vehicle’s towing capacity and weight. The Ascent has a maximum towing capacity of 5,000 pounds when properly equipped. This means that the weight of your RV and the weight of your Ascent, plus any cargo, cannot exceed 5,000 pounds.
The weight of your Subaru Ascent depends on the trim and options you choose. The base model Ascent has a curb weight of approximately 4,430 pounds, while the highest trim with all-wheel drive can weigh up to 4,603 pounds. It’s important to remember that any cargo in your Ascent will add to its weight and should be factored into your towing calculations.
To tow your Subaru Ascent behind your RV, you’ll need the proper equipment. This includes a tow bar, base plate, wiring kit, and brake control. Here’s a breakdown of each piece of equipment and its function:
- Tow bar: This is a device that attaches to both your RV and your Subaru Ascent, allowing them to move in tandem. There are several types of tow bars available, including self-aligning, coach-mounted, and car-mounted. It’s important to choose a tow bar that can safely support the weight of your Ascent.
- Base plate: This is a bracket that attaches to your Subaru Ascent’s frame and provides a secure connection point for the tow bar. It’s important to choose a base plate that is specifically designed for your year and model of Ascent.
- Wiring kit: This allows your Ascent’s brake lights, turn signals, and other electrical components to work while it’s being towed. A wiring kit typically includes a diode wiring harness that connects directly to your Ascent’s existing wiring.
- Brake control: This is a device that applies the brakes of your Ascent when you brake your RV. This is a safety feature that is required by law in most states.
It’s important to choose high-quality equipment that is rated for the weight of your Subaru Ascent and your RV. Cheap or improperly rated equipment can lead to accidents and damage to your vehicle.
Once you have all the necessary equipment, you’re ready to tow your Subaru Ascent behind your RV. Here are the steps to follow:
- Hook up the tow bar to your RV’s hitch receiver.
- Attach the base plate to your Subaru Ascent’s frame.
- Connect the tow bar to the base plate using the quick-release pins.
- Plug in the wiring kit to your Ascent’s electrical system.
- Test the brake lights and turn signals to ensure they’re working properly.
- Check that the tow bar arms and safety cables are properly secured.
- Follow the RV’s manual or guidance on towing.
It’s important to note that there are specific speed and distance restrictions that apply to towing a vehicle behind an RV. You should always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for your particular RV and Subaru Ascent, which may be different depending on what year the vehicles were made.
Before towing your Ascent, it’s recommended that you practice driving with the towed vehicle in an empty parking lot or other safe area to get a feel for how it handles. You should also regularly check the towing equipment and your Ascent’s brakes while on the road.
What is the maximum weight a Subaru Ascent can tow?
The Subaru Ascent’s maximum towing capacity is 5,000 pounds when properly equipped.
Do I need any special equipment to tow a Subaru Ascent behind an RV?
Yes, you will need a tow bar, base plate, wiring kit, and brake control. These components are essential for safely towing your Ascent behind your RV.
Can I tow a Subaru Ascent with all four wheels on the ground?
Yes, you can tow a Subaru Ascent with all four wheels on the ground, but you must use a tow bar and other necessary equipment.
Towing your Subaru Ascent behind your RV can be a great way to take your vehicle with you on your next adventure. However, it’s important to understand the vehicle’s weight and towing capacity, as well as the necessary equipment and towing process. By following the guidelines and safety precautions outlined in this guide, you can safely and confidently tow your Ascent behind your RV.